Stress and Your Health

Photobucket Does that remind you of how you often feel? It sure does me. The last few months I’ve felt pulled in every direction and like my work has just kept giving me more and more to do with no compensation. I only have two hands!!

It’s really gotten me thinking about how this could effect my health - or how it might already have. With all the stomach issues I’ve had recently, how much of that is related to stress? I never had any problems like this until this job I’m in became extremely stressful. I dread going in ever day. I get nervous and anxious on the way in every morning - and while I’m here it eats me up inside every time my boss says anything derogatory towards me, or anything happens with the ‘clique’ that has made my life a living hell.

So what does this mean for you? It means I’ve done more research to share with you! :) Research has shown that stress can cause illness. It can cause things like backaches, headaches, insomnia, loss of sexual interest, depression, colds or other infections due to a lowered immune system, irritable bowel syndrome, high blood pressure, and possibly even cancer. If you have, or think you have, any of these problems, please visit the links to read more about the warning signs.

The number one killer right now for women is heart disease, so it’s very important to de-stress ourselves to keep from getting our blood pressure up too high. You should also regularly check your blood pressure so you know about where you stand. Most drug stores or pharmacies (Wal-marts, too) have a place where you can check your blood pressure for free, so there’s no excuse not to do it!

Now, how do you keep yourself calm when you have a boss breathing down your neck for the report that was due yesterday, your mom’s calling your cell phone asking 100 questions about when you’re coming to visit next, your husband just sent you a text message wanting to know what you were going to make for dinner, and your kid’s school just called the office phone letting you know he got suspending again? There are several at-home ways to mellow out, which I’ll get to in a minute, but first I want to share a site I’ve found that offers meditation slide shows that are great for the office! When you need 5 minutes just to chill out and cheer up, head over to Discovery Health’s Meditation Station and watch a couple of their slide shows. You’ll be amazed at what that little bit can do for you.

Once you’re at home, here are some ideas to try to help you find some inner peace. Not everything on this list may work for you - you need to find what fits you best.

  • Start a journal. Write down your thoughts from the day, or poetry, or whatever moves you. A lot of people feel relaxed when they can write down everything on their mind without having to think about how to say it.
  • Meditate. This doesn’t mean you have to sit cross-legged and hum! Find your own meaning of mediation. Maybe it’s sitting in a quiet spot of the house reflecting on the day, or maybe it’s taking a walk through the park. Whatever it is, turn off your cell phone, and spend the time alone! This is YOU time.
  • Plant a garden. Tending to something and watching it grow can be very relaxing, especially when you can see the progress coming from it. Not only are you close to the earth, but you are able to help produce beautiful flowers, or yummy fruits and vegetables!
  • Practice aromatherapy. Light some scents that you love and take a warm bath, or lay on some soft pillows. Again, though, turn off your cell phone and lock your door! This time is meant for you!

What are some other ways you like to relax and get away from stress?

0 Responses to "Stress and Your Health"