Back! How I stayed healthy on my trip to the Canary Islands!

I got back a few days ago and I have only nice things to say about my trip!!
First of all: lovely town, lovely hotel, lovely people, lovely beach, lovely sand dunes... Playa del Ingles in Gran Canaria (Spain) is perfect for a short sunny vacation!!

So how did I stay healthy over there?
- I cooked most of the food I ate at my hotel.
- I used the gym in the hotel.
- Every now and then I went for 15-45 minutes walks instead of taking the taxi.


First, here's a picture (taken in my kitchenette in my hotel room) of the foods I brought along with me in my checked-in luggage:

1. Organic rice
2. Wakame algae
3. Organic banana/pear purée
4. Organic oatmeal
5. Organic tahini
(6. Cocosa Coconut Oil)


Having done some pre-googling, I already knew where the two bigger supermarkets in Playa del Ingles were situated (Eurospar and Mercadona). In fact, I had printed out maps to their locations, which apparently wasn't necessary because the city was way smaller than I thought, and the supermarkets were both only 15 minutes away from the hotel (by walk) and very easy to find. I did some food shopping in both supermarkets - everything from chicken filets to frozen broccoli to fresh bananas. Cooking in the hotel was easy, and I feel I had plenty of space to prepare my meals... :)


The gym at the hotel was biiiiig. I mostly used the treadmill and when I was there it was ALWAYS empty! Maybe a part of that is because 90% of the guests of the hotel were age 50+ and that when you're on vacation, the last thing you wanna do is to run the treadmill...


I also did some "walking" on the sand dunes (which bascially is an area of 8x3 km of ONLY sand). It's like walking in the desert!! Really cool, but remember to bring your water bottle if you ever go there!!

Before arrival, I thought it would be hard to stay healthy on this vacation. I guess the key factors are to bring some of your own healthy food from home and to rent a place (apartment hotel/villa) where you can cook it! Other than that, what's most important when on vacation is to RELAX and HAVE FUN!!

0 Responses to "Back! How I stayed healthy on my trip to the Canary Islands!"